Tips for how to stay organised while studying

For the past two weeks I have been on break which while refreshing I am more than ready to get back into routine and organise myself. As someone who relies on routine and organisation (mainly because it helps keeps my anxiety in check), I like to think I have a good idea on how to get and stay organised and hopefully these tips help.
Here are my tips and tricks on how to get into a good routine and stay organised this semester:
  • Keep study stuff separate from everyday life stuff - yes I carry a well stocked pencil case in my handbag (you wouldn't believe how often it comes in handy!) but I also have a separate pencil case for my studies that stays in the bag I use for studying. The pencil case contains: pens, highlighters, whiteout and a small stationery kit I got from Kikki K (which contains a mini stapler, hole punch, ruler etc. like this one and this one) and I only use it for studying. I also have a separate bag for my study items that I take to class along with my handbag that way it can be left in the room during quick breaks. 
  • Colour code things where possible - for me its easier to have an individual folder per day I'm on campus (my classes are clustered according to subject and TAFE organises the timetable for us so we just turn up) and each are different coloured or have some identifying marker (I used this glitter tape for my two folders this semester but washi tape is also good) so I can tell the difference easily. I also have a different coloured notebook in each, so that way if I take it out I can work out what subjects it belongs to. 
  • Sort out lunches and snacks a head of time - as I'm on campus 2 full days that means I need to take lunch 2 days and while leftovers are great I like to have variety. Every 5 or so weeks I make up a batch of savoury muffins, mini quiches or if I'm making pizza for dinner I make a couple extra and cut up into slices, I then freeze these in containers and can grab out a few or a slice for lunch. It saves me on those days when I can't be bothered to put much thought into lunch and I am less likely to spend money at the cafeteria. For snacks I try to take something savoury and something sweet, I often just eat one of the snacks but I like having the variety and options. For the savoury options I like veggie chips, tortilla chips, bagel chips (noticing a pattern I like chips!) or popcorn, as for sweet its 2 parts almonds to 1 part m&ms and sometimes if I have been baking I include a piece of that too. 
  • Take note of any assignments - after the first 2 days of class once we have been given all our assignments and other important dates I sit down with a semester calendar (we get given one by the prac lecturer) write them all down and then photo copy it. I then highlight all the ones applicable for that day's classes and put it in the front of that folder. By doing this this I can plan a head and what assignments I should be working on. 
  • Work out a study plan - block out times when you can study and make sure you do it. Last semester I blocked out Sunday morning (as the house was quiet), Mondays and Wednesday morning (as I had class in the afternoon) for studying and I did my assignments then. Saying that I allowed some flexibility depending on appointments and other commitments. I also find for me it helps to have a few assignments on the go so I can mix things up while still being productive. 
  • Schedule in self-care - this is a big one for me once things start getting busy with assignments and life it can be hard to find time to recharge. I make sure to schedule in self-care now, for me it can be something as simple as watching my favourite shows, reading a book or doing some window shopping for a couple of hours. Whatever your form of self-care is make sure you set aside time and actually do it even when life gets hectic it's always worth it. 
At the end of the day it's all about working out what works for you and figuring out ways that you can stay organised, hopefully these tips help.

Comments

Popular Posts