Green Team Recap

Another Green Team done and I am so exhausted and ready to sleep for a week. Green Team is a ministry of the Baptist Churches that run a safe space for school leavers that are celebrating the end of their exams. They run a fun and safe zone for them to come and party and they require volunteers to make this happen, I think there was around 135 of us give or take.
Last year I did it for prac  - you can read the recap of that here and this year I did it for fun.

I was worried how I would go this year as I was still experiencing side effects from my iron infusion, but I had anti nausea medication (the best of the best) which I had decided not to take during the week and use it for Green Team (there was only 4 tablets in the box) as nausea is more easier to manage at home as I could take is easy and wasn't on the go. I ended up taking the meds two of the four nights but I should've taken one on the final night as I struggled with nausea and had to power through it. 

I was planning to drive down myself but I was so thankful that my friend E offered me a lift - we actually met last year down at Green Team and we have become good friends. Especially as these side affects from the iron infusion are refusing to leave me and I'm not a fan of driving long distances alone. We left at 9.30am and got down there at around 12.00pm as E was 2IC and needed to help set up. We helped put some signs up at the zone before checking in at the resort.

I was first in my chalet to check in and despite being told there would be 6 of us in the chalet there was only 4 of us which meant I got my own room which was great. My chalet mates were great and I had some good conversations with them, saying that I didn't spend a heap of time in the chalet as I was chatting with people and enjoying the social activities that were planned.

Sunday after settling in we all went to the Baptist campsite for dinner with the other services which was fun and it was great to meet some of the people we would be working alongside.


Monday my body clock woke me up at 7.00am and I spent the morning relaxing and reading, I had downloaded Jenny B Jones latest book which I had been saving to read down at Green Team and over the week I managed to get about halfway through it. Lunch was pizza followed by a pool party at the pool at the resort and I didn't go swimming and just put my feet in the water and chatted with some of the other Green Teamers which was nice. My cousin was also on the team this year (as he had been last year) and he managed to get me half wet which was great (not).
That night I was on rides which was mostly crowd management and making sure people didn't jump the line, I also kept an eye out for any leavers dealing with drug and alcohol effects. It was very full on and I pretty much just stayed in one area, we also didn't have enough barriers which made things more challenging though the next night they had more barriers.

Tuesday I slept in until 9.00am and just hung out in the chalet and read my book. I then had lunch and chatted to some people before I did the social activity which was garden games. They had 2 big connect four sets, ultimate frisbee and bocce set up on the lawn area just outside the resort. I was extremely proud that I beat E in connect four 3 times and bocce twice (I think). Of course my dear cousin managed to hit me in the head with a frisbee (let's be honest it was bound to happen).
That night I was on toilets which was crazy and super full on and about 3/4s in I was transferred to the lounge/movie tent as my team leader was worried about me. I had spoken to her about the iron infusion side affects and that I wasn't sure if I would cope or not on the toilets as its really crazy. I did enjoy it but I felt like I was hearding cats at times when I was on line management as the leavers didn't follow my directions where to go to the empty stalls and then when I was on showing the leavers to the empty stalls they often liked to have two of them squeezed into an already tiny cubical which meant I had to bang on the door until one of them came out (sometimes they didn't though).

Wednesday was a lazy morning and then after lunch I chilled in the indoor pool area on the lounge as the beach activities were moved due to the windy weather
That night I was on the lounge/movie tent or as I liked to think of it the make out tent. I pretty much just needed to do laps of the tent and keep an eye on the leavers who were taking a break and either watching the move, sleeping or making out. We had one drug overdose which required first aid but apart from that it was really chill. I found that by the third night I needed a break and this was a fun but low key zone.

Thursday we had a BBQ breakfast for the social activity which was fun and then after lunch E and I heading to my favourite ice cream place to refuel before the final night (it's always a must for me to visit when I am down south!), we also checked out a hippy shed market on the way back to the resort.
For the final night I had decided to do a silent disco which was loads of fun and I was able to just ignore the voice in my  head that says I can't dance and just let loose. I also got a croaky voice from yelling at the leavers who kept jumping the line and weren't moving up the line but all in all it was a fun area of the zone and the perfect way to end the week. We then rolled up the carpets in the area and picked up rubbish as it was the final night before heading back to the resort.

Friday we were fortunate enough to get an additional hour to check out which was great and E and I ended up leaving at 10.30pm. We had a pretty uneventful drive home and stopped once at the RAC stop and then at a petrol station for lunch, I think I arrived home at 2.00ish.

I really enjoyed this week especially compared to last year, I mean this week had a few low points. Including getting an email saying I hadn't been successful in getting a job I had interviewed for two weeks prior which was hard. But at the same time my mind was focused on so many other things that while I did feel confused and a bit upset I was able to move on from it and just go 'ok God you're in control, let's keep moving forward and focus on the final night'. Don't get me wrong I am still processing it and I am planning on ringing up for feedback from it next week but as far as timing goes it was great as it meant I had built in distractions and had people there with me when I received who shared in my disappointment and were able to listen to me vent my feelings.
I also found I wore the worst shoes (note to self skechers are not good shoes to wear  for longer than an hour) and my feet were killing me within a couple of hours each night as they had minimal arch support. I should've just worn my rainbow gumboots which I was thinking about doing and was worried they would hurt my feet due to minimal support (though they probably have more than my skechers did) but they would've been way better! I'm also going to see if I can get some better insoles for  my shoes so I can wear them longer.

I can honestly say that God willing I will be back next year and it will be worth taking annual leave for (as I am praying I will get a job soon). It's crazy, you will feel like a zombie afterwards and question the next generations judgement but it's so rewarding and you will make new friends and catch up with old ones and by the end you will feel so proud of yourself of what you have helped achieve.

Comments

Popular Posts