Dear 2019

Dear 2019,

I can't believe you are almost over! I've had my fair share of ups and downs to say the least and I am interested to see what 2020 will bring.

I spent the first six months of 2019 studying to complete my diploma in Community Services and I am so proud of myself for finishing it. I worked really hard on all my assignments and made sure to stay focused on the end goal. While I wasn't thrilled with my prac placement I made the best of it and pushed through to finish everything to a high standard and end on an high note.

This year in my mind will be known as the year of doctors appointments and I swear I have seen my doctor 5 times more than I ever had before. I started the year on antibiotics for an ear infection which continued to linger as I got swimmers ear after it. I then finally had my ingrown toenail dealt with which required antibiotics for two weeks as well. As someone who was last on antibiotics 15 years ago being on two lots in less than 6 months of each other was crazy to say the least.
Then there was low iron which required an infusion and a couple of follow up appointments regarding the (not so) fun side effects, getting a bump removed from my back (which turned out to be a cyst) and all my usual appointments to keep my anxiety in check. I am hoping that 2020 will be better health wise.

I continued to volunteer with ReachOut and did a lot of media release work, including a trip over east
 to speak about my experiences with cyberbullying and some photos and newspaper articles regarding the fundraising campaign Raise Dough. I managed to raise $350 by baking for ReachOut which was amazing and I was so thankful to have friends and family support me. I also got to speak at a few events and I loved getting to share my story with mental illness and why ReachOut is so important. I always get a thrill when I get to represent ReachOut at any event and you would think by now this feeling would go away but it hasn't.
I also returned to volunteer with Green Team and had a blast despite dealing with side affects of my iron infusion two weeks prior. I really enjoyed meeting new people and catching up with people from the previous year. It's always such a full on week but it's such a rewarding/fun/crazy experience and I hope to do it again in 2020, God willing.

Employment wise I am currently looking for a job and am praying that the start of 2020 will bring with it lots of job interviews and a good job. God has continued to provide with odd jobs and giving me opportunities to use my skills which I am thankful for.

I celebrated turning 25 by baking an impressive cake and having a small celebration with friends. The cake was a lot of work but it was so good and I loved being able to share it with everyone.

Funnily enough 2019 was the year of fun bright shoes, I bought a pair of Little Miss Keds after being obsessed with them the moment I saw them and they make me smile whenever I see them. I also bought a pair of rainbow gumboots, I never in a million years thought I would be brave enough to wear these gumboots out and figured I would only wear them at home when I needed to face the chickens. They soon became a shoe in my regular rotation and they made wet Winter days a lot brighter and I can't wait to break them out again.

While it is easy to focus on the good of 2019 I have also faced some tough and challenging times. I have struggled with wondering what God's plan is for me and also struggled with isolation and loneliness this past year and I am thankful to have had such great support systems in place. I continued to see my psychologist every four weeks and each appointment has been invaluable. I know for a fact that 2020 won't be easy going but I know that I can face whatever life throws at me.

Something that surprised me this year was that I became a person who actually likes going to the gym, as someone who avoids physical exercise at all costs it was a huge achievement. I managed to go 3 times a week most weeks (with my mum) and I enjoyed pushing myself and seeing my fitness levels improve. While I often dreaded going to the gym and found it a struggle in the beginning, once I made it a part of my routine and started to build up my stamina I actually enjoyed it. Going to the gym has also made me more comfortable in my body and has helped build up my confidence, which were added bonuses. I am looking forward to continuing to going to the gym next year and pushing myself further.

It's only been in the past couple of years that I have realised that I struggle with social anxiety and also reading social situations. So I made it my aim this past year to go to more social events and meet new people, I always made sure that I knew someone at the event I went to but I enjoyed putting myself out there and also attending events that I would otherwise make excuses not to go to.

While I thankfully didn't fall down anymore staircases and break anymore bones, I am still just as clumsy as always and I am forever finding weird bruises in places and wondering how I got them. One injury that stands out is that I had the joy of dropping a wall year planner on the top of my foot that bruised the bone and left me in pain for weeks, how it happened I am still not quite sure but I am thankful it wasn't worse!

I did a lot of crafting this past year and found myself creating a lot of things out of polymer clay including fish in bottles, clay flowers and tiny clay roses. I love having projects to focus on, however I now have a lot of finished products that I need to work out what to do with and I am thinking I may need to set up a way to sell them in the new year.


A big highlight of this past year for me was getting to see The Next Step in concert with Megan, it was a great night and we loved seeing them dance. Megan still talks about it and we both wear our official concert tshirts with pride.

2019 has been such a mix of everything and I am thankful for what I have had the chance to experience. I walk away from 2019 with some amazing friends and memories that I hope I don't forget. I am hopeful that 2020 will bring with it some changes and challenges both of which I am so ready but also anxious for but I know with God by myside nothing will be impossible

Thanks 2019 for all the memories, lets see how 2020 will compare.

Love Erin







Comments

Popular Posts