Finishing my Diploma of Community Services

When you graduate from university you get a ceremony with a hat and a gown but when you finish TAFE you get nothing, after all it's only 6 months for a certificate or 12 months for a diploma, it just passes. Once you hand in everything and get signed off, a few weeks later you get a certificate in the mail and you are qualified. It's a strange feeling all those hours, anxieties, assignments, printouts (so many printouts!) and dragging yourself to class for a certificate that gets delivered by Australia Post in an envelope with 'do not bend' printed on it. Then you realise that you are now qualified and the anxieties start to sink in and you have to start applying for jobs and figuring out what to do next.

I am finally finished with my course, I had my last day of TAFE today and caught up with my classmates for one last time, it was great getting to see them all again. I brought in cupcakes as I felt that the completion of our diplomas needed to be recognised. We all sat around and chatted about how our placements were and our plans for our futures and then we left for the last time.
It was bittersweet to leave campus for the last time, so many things took place on that campus; tears shed, discussions had, friendships made, lunches enjoyed on the picnic tables under the trees, assignments freaked out about and being taught by some amazing lecturers.


When I went back to TAFE last year my plan was to get a qualification and then a job, instead I switched courses (after a panic attack) and campuses (to one with much better parking!) and found something I loved. I say to people that it was a 'God thing' that I got into the area of Community Services and looking back I see that everything lead into it. From starting volunteering with ReachOut to having a panic attack on the second day of TAFE that lead to me talking to a careers counsellor who suggested I give Community Services a go and finding something I was passionate about. I spent two years unemployed before I went back to TAFE and while some part of me is dreading unemployment I know that God has a plan for me and will guide me to the right job.
The other week I went into campus to hand in my prac booklet and when I was leaving campus I saw a rainbow and then today when I was leaving home I saw another rainbow, seeing the rainbows reminded me of God's promises and how he has a plan for me.




I can officially say that I have a Cert 3 in Business, a Cert 4 in Community Services AND a Diploma in Community Services. I have started to apply for jobs and I know that whatever happens God has the right job for me.




Comments

Popular Posts