What's going on with me health wise

I will start by saying that this blog is the only consistent journal I keep so I am writing this down more for my records than anyone else's.

So lately I have been struggling with low energy and fatigue, this probably started in September last year and at the time I was too busy to really notice (turning 25 and I was away for a weekend) and lets be honest my stamina has always been below average, so I didn't really take proper notice of it. I saw my doctor in October to get a referral or script (I can't remember) and to get booked in to get a lump removed off my back (which was a cyst) and I mentioned it to my doctor then by that point I was also experiencing dizzy spells and my doctor thought I probably had low iron (which was my theory) and sent me off for a blood test.
I had then blood test and when I saw him a week later to get the lump removed he confirmed my iron levels were low and an infusion was the best thing, so I booked in for that in 2 weeks time.
I had the infusion and the dizzy spells didn't go away if anything they got worse and I also got to experience nausea for around 3 weeks afterwards (these side affects are extremely uncommon).
I went on Green Team just over a week after I had the infusion and hoped that it would kick in at some point during the week and the side affects would subside, they didn't (anti nausea meds for the win).
It took me longer to get over Green Team a lot longer than I remembered it taking the previous year, it probably didn't help that I got a cold as well. I was told within 2 weeks I would notice a difference from the infusion well two weeks went (it was actually exactly two weeks on the Friday Green Team finished). I saw my doctor to get a script a few days after Green Team and I still hadn't noticed a change, but I was assured that by the 4 week mark I would be overflowing with energy. I was given a referral to get a blood test after 4 weeks and I honestly thought my iron levels would still be low. I rang up my doctor to get the results when I hadn't heard anything as I wanted to know if my iron was still low, it was high (yay!) but it didn't explain the fatigue lingering or dizzy spells. By this point Christmas was 1.5 weeks away and I was booked in to see my doctor during the first week of January and I figured I would just suck it up until after Christmas. Some part of me thought all I needed was a break and a few days down south would make me feel amazing which wasn't the case. 
I do support work for a girl who's mum is a naturopath and she told me that maybe I could be prediabetic but other than that she had no idea and to bring it up with my doctor to get my glucose levels checked. I also mentioned it to my psych as I wondered if it was psychological but she assured me it wasn't and I wasn't experiencing burnout either. 

To explain my dizzy spells it's like this fog moves over which causing this dizziness to settle over me for a minute or two, it happens at least twice an hour and intensity varies. It comes really randomly and I could be lying down in my bed, reading a book or walking and it will just come over me. When it comes over me when I am walking if I am able I will stop and put my hand on a solid surface, but there are times when it happens like if I'm at the gym and I will just keep moving through it and hope for the best.
Fatigue wise it's this bone tiredness that settles in and when it happens I can't move unless I really push myself, I probably have 2-3 hours decent energy max a day and I never know when this energy will come on so I have to make the most of it. I will go out for 2 hours and I will just crash as soon as I get home which is no fun. I've always been the person who can't sit around and do nothing but I find while I may be motivated to do things the energy isn't there so I just sit down and watch Netflix or read. 

I saw my doctor in the new year and he was really concerned as he didn't realise just how long the dizziness had been going on for and that I was experiencing it while lying down which isn't normal.  I was told to get a glucose test as he had to rule out diabetes before we moved forward with anymore tests. My veins aren't the best and my doctor apologised for me having to get stabbed 3 times for the test while laughing as he knows how much I hate blood tests (our relationship is really good so I rolled my eyes as he apologised).
I got the results back from the glucose test and they are completely normal, there was no sign of prediabetes or diabetes which is great but its not an answer into what is going on. So the next step is to focus on the heart and I have echocardiogram scheduled in for next Monday, followed by needing to wear a Holter Monitor for 24 hours starting next Friday. My doctor hasn't been able to hear anything regarding my heart but he thinks there could maybe be a stiff valve or something. I then see my doctor on the 4th of February for those results (it takes a week to get the results after each test) and work out where to go from there. I honestly just want some answers and to feel normal again but I can see it being a long road and not a straightforward one at that (which has always been my life so it really shouldn't surprise me).

Hopefully the next health update will be more positive, until them I am just taking it one day at a time and focusing on making the most out of my energy when I have it.

Comments

Popular Posts