No more silence

I apologise for all the silence over here, last week I made the decision to have a mental health week as life had been so full on and emotionally and mentally draining. I just wanted a week to do nothing and a part from a couple of appointments that is what I did!
Well I am officially un-unemployed! I start my new job on Monday which is super exiting and scary at the same time. Its a 1 year contract but I am praying that it will get extended, of course I am just super happy that I finally have work! Its 5 days a week 1-5pm which works out really well as I can study and do ReachOut stuff in the morning before work. I got the call on Monday afternoon and it wasn't a complete surprise as I had gone for a medical and drug test the Monday prior which I was told if I was one of the short listed applicants would happen. Its at the same place that I did work experience and temp work at, so I know the environment and some of the people there which is great. I went to pick up the paperwork today and took my Mum down as she had no idea where it was and she commented on how good the work environment felt and you could tell that the people loved working there. I am going to continue seeing my psychologist which I know will help with the transition plus I feel like I am in much better place with my anxiety compared to all my previous jobs.
Unemployment as unfortunately hit a 13 year high which seriously sucks and I know to get this job was nothing short of a miracle especially as the market is so competitive. For this job there was 200 applicants and they had to take down the job advert early, they interviewed 6 people for what ended up being 3 positions so the odds were definitely a lot better than other jobs I had gone for in the past. I have applied for so many jobs and I once worked it out that for every 20-30 jobs I applied for I would get 1 interview.
I don't feel like my time being unemployed was a complete waste during that time I have learnt how to better managed my anxiety, challenge myself and have grown as a person because of it. I'm not going to pretend that it was a complete walk in the park as it wasn't and I struggled so many times. It seemed whenever I got close to getting work and I would get my hopes up, I wouldn't get the job and would be crushed. Sometimes I wouldn't even hear back from interviews I went to and there is nothing worse than being on edge for days and eventually realising that you won't get a call and feeling like you meant nothing to the company.
I am so glad that I got this job and I can't think of a better place where I would rather work, it taken me many job applications, interviews and rejections to get where I am and I can honestly say that it was worth it would I do it all again in a heartbeat? No! But I am proud of myself for sticking out the past (almost) 2 years and I know that I can survive the first couple of weeks at this job.

Comments

Popular Posts