ReachOut Mod Workshop Recap

A couple of weeks ago I got the opportunity to travel to ReachOut HQ for a workshop to become a
forum moderator.
Since being a Youth Ambassador (almost 3 years ago!) I have pushed myself to do things I never thought I would do and I like to keep pushing myself. So when given the opportunity to get more involved with ReachOut I always jump at the chance. This lead to a fun glitter filled (so much glitter I am still finding it in random places!) weekend workshop at ReachOut HQ, so on Friday I headed on a plane and travelled quite a distance. I arrived late Friday night and didn't leave until Monday night. Trying to navigate a new city, getting to know new people and absorb new information is a challenge for anyone and I felt this pressure to keep my anxiety under control and not let it get in the way.
Here is how my weekend played out, along with my anxiety levels and what I would do differently:

Friday - I left home at midday to catch my flight at 1.50pm, I was lucky that lunch was included in my flight and I was able to get away with hand luggage on the way there. I hadn't flown in over 10 years and flying solo was a different experience. I forgot to take my laptop out of my bag before it went in the scanner so I had to rescan it and when I walked through security the alarm went off  due to my Pandora bangle so I had to unlatch it. My anxiety was starting to pick up but I focused on getting on the plane and practiced my breathing exercises (this app is amazing). I grabbed a (very overpriced) sprite and sat down for a while before I boarded my flight. I boarded my flight and enjoyed the inflight entertainment (I ended up watching Everything, Everything which wasn't a bad movie and I had actually just bought it on DVD but had yet to watch).
Due to the time difference I lost 3 hours, so it was late when I arrived. I grabbed a cab and went to the hostel where I would be staying. Only 2 other people for the workshop (L and S) would be arriving that night and they were already settled in, I said hi to them (they were both in bed). I set up my bed and decided despite not feeling tired I would go to bed and read (perks of having an e-reader with a backlight!). I struggled to fall asleep as it was still early at home but I eventually drifted off.

Saturday - I woke up at 7.00am which was super early to me due to the time difference, got dressed and chatted to my roommates and we headed down to breakfast. Everyone else for the workshop was going to be flying in to get there at mid-morning. L and I caught a cab to ReachOut office while S went to meet the others at the airport. I was feeling a bit anxious but no more than normal before a workshop. I will say throughout the weekend I struggled due to the time difference so my body clock was out of whack so I wasn't sleeping well at all which didn't help my anxiety. I met the others and we started the workshop. We were told that there was a room set up that we could take time out in if we needed, but for some reason I decided that I wouldn't use it as I was there to learn. I always talk more at new situations and my eye contact is off and while I knew it was happening I found it hard to get it under control.
The morning was about getting to know everyone and breaking the ice, there were a few returning moderators who helped run sessions which was good. The afternoon after lunch we got into more full on things and had talks from a few different staff members and returning mods about the role of a moderator, self care, research and a few other topics. I liked how it wasn't just the staff doing the talking but returning mods who had experience and knew the role, so we could relate to them.
Everyone was given money for dinner so we all broke off into groups to grab dinner, I went with 5 others and we ended up at Grilled and then proceeded to get lost trying to get back to the hostel. GPSs didn't really work in the city as the signal kept bouncing off the buildings but we eventually made it back. I was feeling exhausted so I went to bed and tried to sleep but I struggled so I ended up reading for a few hours.

Sunday - my anxiety was flaring up for no reason but I managed to get it under control with some breathing exercises and I pushed through it. It was a full on day and there was a lot of information to take in. We learnt the bulk of the information and there were a lot of back to back sessions. We learnt how to run a GR, got broken into groups which would then focus on a particular area of the forums for the month (and then rotate the following month), how people find ReachOut and the forums and the problems they may run into accessing it, looked at the official mod handbook, how to handle tough posts and what to do if we feel that something is beyond us and a whole lot more. It was very intense to say the least and a lot to absorb.
At night we watched Big Hero 6 and ate pizza before heading back to the hostel. We decided that we would meet on the 1st floor to hang out (it was a shared kitchen/living space) so I grabbed my Kobo and found a chair to relax in to wait for the others. Then people decided to head to a bar, bars aren't my scene and I felt like I was close to breaking point so I decided to finish my book before calling it a night. Back up at my room I chatted for a while with my roommates which was really nice and just what I needed it. I tried to get some sleep but couldn't as the bar next door to the hostel was playing music non stop, I must've drifted off at around 1.00am but it wasn't long before we had to be up and out.

Monday - We packed up and left our bags at the hostel and headed off to the office for the final part of the workshop. We were doing staff 'speed dating' and I was thrilled to see some familiar faces and meet face to face people I had been in contact with over the years. I was really struggling at this point but forced myself to push through. I saw J (who works in fundraising and I keep in regular contact with), who gave me a big hug and was thrilled to see me. I'm not a huge hugger but it was just what I needed and I had been hoping I would see her. I also saw H who is in charge of the Youth Ambassadors which was great. I'm the only YA for my state at the moment which is hard and can feel isolating so it was great to see them both and catch up with them. I met most of the staff members which was great.
We then all headed back to the hostel as most had to catch a shuttle to the airport, my flight wasn't until 8.00pm and I just couldn't face exploring the city. All I could see myself doing was getting lost and then having an anxiety attack. Thankfully I was more than welcome to hang out in the ReachOut office until I had to head to the airport. I was so tired at this point but as I really wanted to sleep on the plane I read my book for a bit, and surfed the net on my laptop, before ending up helping out doing some merch sorting (rolling up posters mostly). I loved being behind the scenes and seeing how much goes into making ReachOut what it is. I said a final goodbye to J, H and the rest of the staff before I caught a cab to the airport.
Despite not needing to check in my bag on the way there, I needed to on the way back as it was a different airline and they had stricter rules. I was early to check in so I waited around for a bit and grabbed some caramel slice at a café as I had skipped lunch (I just wasn't hungry) it wasn't nowhere as good as mine (which I ended up making on the Wednesday after I had gotten back) but it helped keep my blood sugar steady. After I had checked in I wandered around the airport (which was a lot bigger than I thought it would be) and explored a few shops. I ended up grabbing a couple of things (a picture book for the kids I babysit and a toy cat that looked like Maddy as I was missing my cats) and then had dinner at a burger place, which was really good and not typical airport food.
My flight boarded at 8.00pm and food nor entertainment were provided (you could purchase them) so I tried to sleep but I really needed a pillow. I had downloaded (using Netflix) A Christmas Prince so I put in my headphones and watched that and half of another movie (Bruno and Boots: This Can't be Happening) for the first half of the flight before managing to doze off for a while (though waking up frequently). It wasn't the best sleep but it was something and tied me over before I could be in my own bed. My parents picked me up at the airport which was great and as soon as I walked in the door Rikki was there to greet me and wanted cuddles. I ended up sleeping in until 9.30 the next morning which was great and spent the rest of the day relaxing and watching The Office. It took me the rest of the week until I began to feel 'normal' again.

Looking back there's not much I would've done differently, while I did push myself a lot I also made the most of my time and absorbed as much as possible. While I didn't get to explore the city much I am hoping to return at some point in the near future possibly with my youngest sister (probably for her 21st Birthday in a couple of years) as when I was there I felt we would both have a good time and it's much more fun exploring with someone. I loved the parts of the city I did see but it was so big compared to where I live and felt like I needed a good few days to explore it fully. Of course I was there to work and learn so exploring was never really on my books for this trip.
The things that I would've done differently given the chance include:
  • Getting myself into the time zone before I left - I should've gotten up early and lived in that time zone the day of the flight just so I could sleep at night and not been so exhausted. This is easier said than done but I will keep it in mind for next time. I would also try and get a flight that landed in the morning rather than at night so I could exhaust myself before bed rather than go straight from sitting on a plane to bed.
  • Taken more photos - I really regret not taking more photos, I never took the opportunities to grab them and I would've loved to have had some of the office and of what I got up too.
  • Taken small breaks - I think I felt I could only take long breaks to get the most out of them and I really didn't want too so I didn't. But maybe if I took a few 10 minute breaks then it would've made some difference yet I wouldn't have missed out on much. 
  • Drank more water - I didn't feel like I was drinking enough and despite having a water bottle I rarely touched it so I found myself feeling really thirsty at night. I just forgot to drink water which was annoying. 
  • Packed less - easier said than done and I honestly don't know how I could've decreased my luggage except for leaving my laptop at home which I needed (though maybe I could've left the charger at home?). I kept it to the basics but maybe I could've left some things at home and only taken the bare minimum.
As I said before there wasn't much I could've done differently and most of the things I could do are quite doable for next time.

I am so proud of myself for surviving a very full on workshop and not letting my anxiety get in the way. I never in a million years thought this would be possible but I did it! It just goes to show how the amount of work I have put in to push my anxiety so I can do these things and how it's paid off. I can't wait to see what else I can push myself to do.

A huge thankyou to ReachOut for giving me this opportunity and the wonderful staff (and other moderators who put together presentations too) who put the time and effort into running this workshop. It was a great weekend and I am thrilled to be a moderator and get more involved with such a wonderful organisation.

Comments

Popular Posts