The impact of consistent (job) rejection

Whenever I submit a job application, I am sending a part of myself to a company/organisation that will judge me on a few pieces of paper. They don't see who I am as a person but only what is on the pages in front of them. Sometimes if I'm lucky I will get an interview and they get to meet me in person. But they only see me for 30 minutes sometimes an hour, when my anxiety is high and I am second guessing everything I do. Then maybe a week maybe less maybe more I get the rejection, sometimes its an email which may be personalised but most of the time it's a generic email and in rare occasions I get a phone call. I may ask for feedback but honestly what's the point when 90% of the time it's the exact same thing someone else had slightly more experience than me. I can't help but take this rejection personally and each time it cuts deeper. I want to say to them that they don't know what they're loosing out on and there's no way they could know how well I would fit in to the organisation after only one meeting and a few pieces of paper. But I don't say anything and instead thank them for the opportunity. On rare occasions it doesn't bother me especially if I already had uncertainty about the position but sometimes the tears fall and I let them. 

At my last psych appointment two weeks ago, my psych told me that she wouldn't be surprised if the rejection was taking a physical toll on me and somehow contributing to my dizziness. Growing up I experienced rejection in the form of bullying and it's almost like getting rejected from jobs triggers this past trauma in my brain. Today I got rejected by the job I really really wanted, I had submitted a video interview last week and I was so sure that I would get a chance to interview in person and instead I got a generic email from Seek saying I wasn't progressing. I tried to hold back the tears for as long as possible but soon after I rang up the company to get feedback they started to slowly fall. I then rang up my employment agency and by now the tears were in full force. My consultant was amazing as she listened to me and offered up words of encouragement and told me not to take the rejection personally but I do take the rejection personally and no one telling me otherwise can change that. My body was clearly over the rejection as as soon as I hung up the phone I experienced one of the biggest nose bleeds I've had in a long time. For so long I have brushed the rejection affects aside and put it down to my anxiety and the unknown but I am wondering if the rejection is impacting me more than I first thought. I don't know how much more rejection I can handle, this is the third job in just over 6 months that I have really wanted and while yes this wasn't a face to face interview the rejection has still hurt the same. But I can't not apply for jobs, I need a job I have expenses (such as neurology appointments) so until I get a job the rejection will continue and while it won't get easier it will be worth it once I land a job. 

Comments

Popular Posts