Anxiety Anonymous

I have come to the conclusion that I should go to AA meetings not that kind of meeting (I rarely
drink haha) but Anxiety Anonymous meetings which aren't a thing (yet!) but need to be created. Think about it anyone with anxiety could sit in a room full of people who have gone through similar experiences and just vent about what has set their anxiety off recently, what they can't let go of and what keeps them up at night. Here are some (real) examples:
  • 8 months ago I texted a guy friend without thinking it through and I never got a response and sometimes I wonder if I said the wrong thing (it was an invitation to join me and some friends for a games night). When in reality he was probably too busy to respond or he just forgot but sometimes I still wonder if there is something wrong with how I worded it.
  • Even if I just think about a driving test I freak out and if any characters are learning to drive on TV shows, I can't watch it as it brings back all these memories about me failing the test.
  • I am doing everything I can to get a job, yet I have friends who seem to be doing very little in terms of job seeking but still managing to get jobs.
  • I didn't leave my indicator on long enough before I made a turn even though it was down a quiet road (near my house) and there were no other cars in sight.
  • I am scared the one day when I am home alone a snake will get in the house and I will have an anxiety attack and have no idea what to do (this is my current not quite rational fear with Summer getting in to full swing and a few snakes being sighted near my house)..
So many people think that anxiety is just worrying about things which it is, but it's also not being able to let go of the past and things you can't change no matter how hard you try, the things that you obsess over and keep you up at night and the things that pop up randomly when you think you have forgotten about them and moved past them. This is why I think Anxiety Anonymous needs to exist and be a thing because sometimes you just need someone who understands what its like to tell you its ok to worry about all the small things or to let them go because you really need to move on.

Comments

Popular Posts