And so the job hunting begins!

I have been dreading this since I started studying, after being unemployed for just under two years
studying was a welcomed break and I loved not having to be worrying about finding a job and just focusing on my studies. Of course my studying had to come to an end and while I am thrilled that I now have two new qualifications to add on my resume, I can honestly say that looking for a job is causing my anxiety to make a bigger appearance than normal.
Here's the thing about jobs trying to find one is like looking for a needle in the a haystack and trying to stay positive while doing it is even harder. It doesn't matter how good your resume is or how much experience you have, eventually you start doubting yourself and your abilities. When I was at the peak of job hunting for every 20 applications I filled out I would get 1 interview (yes I sat down and calculated it) and I would always just miss out on the job. Of course for me to even find one job to apply for took time, especially as I can only work part-time and due to my anxiety I need to have a certain job environment (mainly no law firms). Of course all of my previous job hunting experience is to do with trying to find an administration job. But throughout my studies I have been applying for community service jobs mainly to see if I could get an interview and while I did get a couple of job interviews they didn't lead anywhere, which I was 100% ok about as I was focusing on my studies though it does make second guess my abilities if only because I wasn't able to ask for feedback regarding the interviews (long stories) so I have no idea why I didn't get either job.
Something that is helping me with the job hunting is taking it slow and not rushing into it, I figure I deserve a break and for now I can afford to slowly ease into it. I am also working to a set criteria because I want any job I get to be one I can do and will last in. The criteria is as follows:
  • Part-time - no more than 4 days a week. 
  • Uses all my skills - I am not ruling out working in an admin role in a community services organisation. I like the idea of a role that is half office work and half face to face work with clients. 
  • Not a disability support work role - I have done support work in the past (and I still do it if it comes up) and while I did enjoy it, I knew the clients and their families. I also don't feel qualified to work in a disability support work role especially as many roles deal with both high and low need clients and I don't have the skills to work with high need clients. A lot of support work roles also require driving a bus/van and again it's not something I feel comfortable driving and don't think I ever will. I do have a few connections within the disability support network so I'm not completely ruling it out but for now I am. 
Writing down my criteria it doesn't seem that picky and considering my qualifications and experience I am hopeful I will get a role that I can handle. Something that a lot of people fail to realise is that community services is so broad so the sky is the limit and it's a matter of experience and what you are passionate in which will help you get a job. I have experience with mental health and peer support, I also have experience with young adults with disabilities and I have experience working with teens from a variety of backgrounds. A lot of organisations value lived experiences as well and I am hopeful that having anxiety might work in my favour. The reality is that I have accessed many services myself and I know what it's like to hit rock bottom and getting the help to rebuild again. I have advocated on behalf of myself, seen first hand how accessing great services can help and how that sometimes all it takes is for someone to take the first step with you and let you know that they will support you for as long as it takes. 

I know at the end of day that each job application takes me one step closer to landing the job that God has set aside for me and while I am anxious about it all, I am taking it one day at a time and trying to ignore the anxiety within me. 

Comments

Popular Posts