To many choices

Since I started cooking (I think I was 9 or 10) everyone has been telling me that I should become a chef or work in a cafe, but heres the thing I have never wanted to. I have always wanted to be a florist (my hayfever would make working with flowers impossible), or vet nurse (that idea cleared out of my head when I was 13 don't ask why) or childcare worker (I have since decided I don't have the pateince to be one and kids tire me out quickly). But now when I had to make my big decision on what to apply to a tafe I went the complete opposite of what I had always wanted to be or what alot of people were telling me to be I applied to buisness administration (and got accepted in! Sorry it still doesn't seem real to me!) and have decided to become a receptionist or work in customer service.

The fact was none of the above things were 'me' and cooking has always been my hobby and I have never wanted it to become a chef because cooking has been one of the many forms of relaxion for me (writing, reading books, listening to music and sometimes watching TV are my other ways of relaxion) so to me I didn't seem the point of making something that has been about relaxion into my career. I mean yes one day I may work in cafe or be a chef but for now I am more than happy about my decision to become a reception and work in customer service. I chose what was right for me now and what I knew I could do, I was confident in my decision and there wasn't any 'What ifs' floating in my mind, I applied to a course which I WANTED TO DO no one else and knew I could handle. My mum did back me up on this (as did my dad and younger sisters, one of them told me that she could see me being a receptionist) but in the end I wasn't pressured into applying to anything that I didn't want to do or couldn't see myself doing in the future.

The thing is whether your applying to university or tafe its your choice no one elses and that means you have a right to tell people to back down and say this is what I want to do its my life and my future. No one else will be living your future only you so make it count to yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts