My mind has been running off when I sleep. Just the other night I dreamed a friend posted on twitter that he was engaged to someone whom he had been secretly dating called 'Pixel Pinky' (seriously?!) and I awoke wondering how that idea got stuck in my mind (still don't know).
I feel that as a few of my friends have been begging me to post a few recipes I would post my favourite general cake recipe and a recipe for choc mint cookies which I made up:
Never fail birthday (or any other occasion) cake
You will need
125g butter or margarine
¾ cups white sugar (you can use castor if you have it but it doesn’t make a difference)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups self raising flour sifted
½ cup of milk1 Turn oven to 180 degrees.
2. Beat butter and sugar together until creamy
3. Add eggs and vanilla essence
4. Add milk and flour stir to combine.
5. Pour mixture into a cake tin or cupcake cases.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes (20-30 minutes for cupcakes) or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean (don’t judge by the colouring often it looks cooked but the middle of the cake is not set!)
7. Cool then ice
- add a few tablespoons of sprinkles to make a funfetti cake (or a cake with awesome colours inside it!)
- sub out a few tablespoons of flour and replace with cocoa powder for a chocolate cake
- swap the vanilla essence for strawberry, peppermint, almond essence ect
You can use either of the following recipes to ice the cake.
Recipe 1: Mix 1 cup of icing sugar with enough hot water to form a past (you don’t want it too runny!) add food colouring if desired then ice cake.
Recipe 2: mix/cream 125grm softened butter (if its not softened it will be impossible to cream!) until pale and creamy add 2 cups of sifted icing sugar and 2 table spoons milk until combined add food colouring if desired. Ice onto cooled cake (if the cakes not cooled the icing will melt!).
Easy ways to decorate the cake:
- choc chips (mini and normal size!)
- dye the icing different colours with food colouring
Mint Choc Chip Cookies
You will need:
200grms of butter or margarine softened1 1/4 cup white sugar
2-3 teaspoons of peppermint essence (adjust according to your own taste)
1 teaspoon green food colouring
3 cups self raising flour
¾ cup dark choc chips or chopped up dark chocolate
2 tablespoons white sugar (you can add more sugar if you wish)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Cream butter (or margarine) and sugars until pale and creamy (or beat with a wooden spoon works just as well!)
- Mix in peppermint essence, food colouring and egg
- Stir in flour and choc chips (add more flour if its to sticky)
- Mix the cocoa powder and sugar togeather in a bowl
- Roll teaspoons off mix into ball then roll in sugar/cocoa mix
- Place the coated balls onto a tray lined with baking paper evenly spaced apart
- Cook for 10-15 minutes then cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes
- Enjoy with a glass of milk :)