Unemployment Life

Being unemployed is hard and its never been a walk in the park for me. I need some sort of routine and when you're unemployed you don't really have one, many people think that you spend everyday doing nothing or are purposely not looking for work. I thought I would do a breakdown of what a typical week looks for me and a breakdown of an average day, hopefully this will show to some people that not all unemployed people do nothing all the time.
My weekly overview:
Monday - I use this day for applying for jobs as a good number of companies post jobs on Monday (another day is Wednesday) this involves cover letters and maybe doing selection criteria (depending on the place). I also walk to the shops to get some exercise and buy some lunch.
Tuesday- This day is different every week and it depends on whether Dad is home or not. Today I drove him around and got some time up on my logbook. I hope to eventually do volunteer work on this day but its taking a while to get all the forms cleared by the hospital so it looks like it may be a while until I can do that.
Wednesday- This is Mum's day off so we go and visit my Grandma and run errands. Every second Wednesday I have an employment agency meeting in the afternoon which goes for half an hour.
Thursday- This day is similar to Tuesday in that it really has no routine and just depends on what's been happening. Currently I am meeting with a friend for one on one Bible reading in town in the afternoon.
Friday- I meet a friend for lunch at the local shopping centre but go there early to run errands and read in the library as something to do.
Saturday- Family day, sometimes we go to our favourite café for lunch or shopping centre or markets or a local museum it depends on the weather and what we feel like, we also like to be tourists at times and explore new places :)
Sunday- Church :) I also sometimes go out to lunch with the other young adults.

Most days I apply for any jobs that come up and I meet the criteria for as its best to apply for jobs the day that they come up but on Monday it takes longer as its when the most jobs get advertised. I also do any chores such as vacuuming, sorting the washing and cooking dinner when required.

Breakdown of an average day:
My alarm goes off at 7.30am, I am trying to wake up at a decent time but I don't get out of bed until 8.30am as its been so cold lately (it was 0.5 degrees this morning!) so I tend to read and check for jobs on my iPod.
I get dressed and have breakfast then read the news to find out what's been happening in the world.
The main part of my day varies on what I have on and if I have a job interview or not. My life is ruled by job interviews at the moment so if I get one I drop all my plans and go (thankfully people are very flexible and understanding).
My sisters and parents begin to come home from 2.45pm and I also work out for 20 minutes on the cross trainer. Twice a week I cook dinner and once a week I do the dishes.

I do admit that there are times when I do nothing but I try not to sit at home and waste away (I go stir crazy pretty quickly!). I always get dressed and never stay in bed all day I believe that its bad for my mental health and even I feel like staying in bed that its important that I get up and make an effort. I am always applying for jobs and making sure I fulfil my youth allowance requirements.

Being unemployed is hard and I would give anything to get a job just so I could feel like I have a purpose with my life. I try to get out of the house most days because sitting at home achieves very little, even if its just walking to the shops to post a letter or buy some milk. Since I have started working out  I feel more focused and find that I am sleeping better which makes my whole outlook better and I am not so restless. The thing I find the hardest is that people just assume that I do nothing all week and am not trying to find employment, I hope that this puts an ends to that assumption.

I am currently praying that I will get an interview soon as I am beginning to get really stir crazy and I feel that I am doing everything I can in order to get a job, so hopefully I will have a good update soon.
Picture taken from Pinterest original source here

Comments

Popular Posts