The Next Step concert recap

Megan and I had the most amazing time on Tuesday night at The Next Step concert and I honestly don't know where to begin.

As soon as The Next Step announced they were touring Australia Megan invited me to their
Facebook event for our city and it was a given that we would both go. I really enjoy watching The Next Step and find its a great show to watch when I don't want something intense and just entertaining and light, plus the dancing is amazing. We had been previously a few years ago and we had both loved it and Megan still talks about that concert to this day.
Megan has a Companion Card which means a carer can get in free at 99% of events where had she not had Down Syndrome she could attend/participate alone, this means for concerts we only have to buy one ticket and we get another covered. We bought tickets the day they were released and ended up sitting in the 3rd row from the stage and on the floor level and I can honestly say we had some of the best seats in the house. We didn't have to strain our necks to look up at the stage and only had two rows in front of us, Victoria (one of the dancers) even commented on how good the seats were (more on that later).

The concert this time round was at a bigger venue and not in the city and the email that I got on the day explained the parking situation and what we could and couldn't bring into the venue.  All bags had to be smaller than an A4 piece of paper so I ended up taking a clutch which was packed despite me taking the bare minimum (phone, keys, purse, glasses case and iPod (I plug it into my cars stereo system and don't like leaving it in the car) ) and we were only allowed clear water bottles but thankfully Megan had space in her bag for them as I didn't want to spend a small fortune on water at the venue.

I like to arrive early to things and get anxious if I have no idea where I am going even with a GPS and parking can always be stressful at new venues, thankfully there was free parking and plenty of it and we were able to get a good spot near the right entrance for our ticket.
The concert started at 6.30pm but doors opened up at 5.30pm with merch being sold from 5.00pm. We ended up having an early dinner at home and leaving soon after 4.30pm (I think it was more like 4.40pm by the time we got in the car) and getting to the venue at around 5.15pm with traffic which wasn't too bad.
Megan wanted a tshirt so we got in line and each bought a tshirt which were $40 each so honestly not too bad considering and Megan got a poster for $10, we then put them in the car and made our way to entrance. On our tickets we were told to enter in door 2 which took us directly to the floor, of course I needed to make a bathroom run before the concert so we had to climb the grandstand and then back down again and found our seats, it wasn't super busy and I was glad we got there early. I messaged some friends for about 15 minutes and soon after 6.00pm on the big screen videos from behind the scenes of The Next Step TV show started playing and dance clips as well from their YouTube channel. I had seen these clips multiple times when I had gone down my weekly YouTube holes but it was great to see them on the big screen and it really helped increase the excitement.

The concert started and it was so good, the dancers are all super talented and it was great to see the
dancers clearly love performing. There were only two dancers that were in the first The Next Step concert Megan and I went to - Briar and Victoria so it was great to see the new talent. They did a few dances from the show and also a few routines. It was a similar style to the previous concert where they had video interviews with individual dancers and then they each did solo performances, I think about half of the dancers did this (from memory it was Victoria, Briar, Alexandra, Isaiah and Shelby). Then there was a girls trio (on pointe which was beautiful!) and a boys trio, two duets and a few group performances. Victoria (who plays Michelle) was only joining the tour for the Australian leg so it was her final show and you could feel the emotion in her solo, she also MCed and kept the show running and it was great to see the cast all interact with each other and play off of each other.
Halfway through just before intermission they got everyone up and taught us all to dance, which was fun, Megan was grooving and was really getting into it whereas I was just doing it awkwardly haha. They then showed a trailer for the next season and it's looking really good and I am excited to see what happens.
After intermission (I think) they did a Q and A and I encouraged Megan to put up her hand, she was super reluctant but I really wanted her to get given the chance and she was the last girl chosen. Victoria actually made the effort and came over and made a bit of small talk before asking Megan what her question was (who was quite star struck by this point haha) and I had to help Megan ask the cast what their favourite dance move was and then instead of just saying it they all demonstrated their favourite dance moves. It made Megan's night and Victoria really took her time with Megan and even gave her a high five. It makes me tear up thinking about it as Megan is can be overlooked and there were so many people with their hands up but she noticed Megan. It probably also didn't hurt that we had a spare seat next to us and were on the aisle of the middle section, but it made her night and mine.

The concert ended just after 8.30pm and Megan was on a high, the carpark was getting rather crazy
and carparks are a bit of an anxiety inducer for me, so we decided to get some wristbands to let the car park start to clear and get less crazy. In my car I have quite a collection of rubber wristbands from various events so I wanted to get one to remind myself of this night (though it hasn't made it to my car as I haven't taken it off since the concert). We ended up at home at 9.30pm and my GPS sent me on a weird way home and I had no idea where we were so I just went along with it and hoped for the best haha! fun

It was such a great night and Megan and I had a blast. I highly recommend going to see The Next Step in concert if you have the chance and I will say splurge on good seats if you're able as they make all the difference.

Comments

Popular Posts