2020 Christmas Gift Guide

Its 50 days until Christmas so it seems like a good day to post this, also because of as of today all my Christmas shopping is done! 

I am posting this in November, partly because I am the type of person who likes to have all their Christmas shopping done by November but also because I am aware that online shopping will be extremely popular and when you take into account shipping times and possible mail delays it's better to do it now. I really wanted this years guide to focus on small businesses and ways to support those who have been struggling the most. 

Below are some of my favourite small businesses that I have bought from over the years (many as a repeat customer!), I have discovered these though Etsy, going to markets and on Instagram. Most of these stores are budget friendly and have a variety of products that anyone would like.  A reminder that if you're going to shop online make sure you allow plenty of time for the goods to get here, especially as there are some delays with the mail still. 

  • Tilly and Type - I love her prints SO much and was even able to grab two originals this year. You
    can either give these prints as is or buy a nice frame for them. I also love the stickers she does and have them on my phone. 
  • ErstWilder - I actually bought a Christmas necklace earlier in the year from them, but they are known for their cute brooches and there are so many different designs and patterns. 
  • Redbubble - this is a great way to support local artists from all over, as once they upload a design they are then able to choose what products to display it on and they take care of the manufacturing. 
  • Clay and Clasp - super cute earrings and brooches made out of polymer clay. There's so many to choose from and I love how the designs are very Australian. 
  • BCollectionHandmade - a variety of products such as scrunchies (which are amazing quality), small pouches and cushion covers. 
  • Brons Ceramics - I love these ceramic flowers and we have a few bunches in our house. We also sent some to my grandma who lives over east and she loved them. 
  • Arty Mad Fibre Arts - really nice knitted and crocheted products, such as ear warmers, coffee cup cosies and blankets, that come in a range of colours and patterns.
  • Viajera Designs - jewellery made out of recycled sterling silver and raw gems. I love how different the jewellery is. 
  • Bruce Loves You - posters, pins and magnets featuring various pop culture references such as Brooklyn Nine, Harry Potter etc. 
  • ijewellery - really nice solid silver jewellery, I love the range of pendants especially the ones that feature Australian animals on them.
  • AmyLouise - delicate pendants with native flora on them each representing a different month, you can get them in gold, rose gold and silver. 
  • Braw Paper Co. - beautiful stationery, homewares and enamel pins featuring Australia flora and fauna. 
If you don't want to shop online a great way to still support small businesses is to check out local markets and also collective stores which are popping up around the place and stock a wide range of handmade products. 

I am a crafty person and having my Cricut means that I am going to make (pun intended!) the most of it and do a lot of handmade gifts. But even if you don't own a Cricut you can still make gifts that people will appreciate, such as the following:
  • Reusable bags - these bags are super inexpensive and come in a range of colours. You can then
    decorate them with fabric paint, iron on vinyl or fabric markers. I made the ones pictured using a Hamilton cut file from Etsy and some gold iron on vinyl.  
  • Magnets - using polymer clay create a variety of designs and then simply glue a magnet to the back of them.
  • Shrinkydinks - to be completely honest this makes a great gift in itself (especially for kids) but grab some shrink film and draw whatever you want to make keyrings, magnets etc. 
  • Jar of cookies -  I found these jars at Kmart and I love how festive they are (I bought the bird ones), so they will be getting filled with various baked goods and given away to people. This is also a great way to cut down on rubbish as the jar can be reused or recycled as well.
  • Plants - indoor plants are really popular at the moment and if you have any around a lot are easy to propagate (such as succulents) and then you can replant them into pots and give them away as gifts. 
This year I am giving all my immediate family vouchers of some kind just because we don't need more stuff and I would rather give experiences. I like the idea of giving the following vouchers:
  • Local restaurants/cafes - this is a great way to support local and also give people a much needed break from cooking during this busy time.
  • Magazine subscriptions - I like this gift as it's a year round gift and there are so many magazines out there.
  • Experiences - think local museums, theme parks, tickets to particular shows etc. 
  • Small businesses - if you can't think of what to buy someone but still want  to support a small
    business then a voucher is a great way to go. I also love how it gives them a chance to discover a new store. 
  • Self care - think massage vouchers, manicure/pedicure, local spa etc. 
  • Subscription boxes - I am really enjoying The Paper Club subscription box and a 3 or 6 month subscription would make a great gift. But there's so many subscription boxes out there from food related to kids craft related to make up and beauty products there's one for everyone. 
2020 has been a hard year for everyone so go easy on yourself and it's ok if you don't buy a gift for everyone on your list this year or don't put a huge amount of thought into each gift like you normally do. Sometimes a nice card filled with why you like the person so much is more than enough. Just remember that we already have the greatest gift of all - Jesus. 

Comments

Popular Posts