2014 Christmas Gift and Ideas Guide!

14 days until Christmas! The shops are starting to get crazy (and I start to avoid them!) and people are in a rush to find that 'perfect gift' if there is such a thing.
On my gift list is the following: a job, a car, jewellery (I am loving opal and silver at the moment!), and kinetic sand (which my Mum will NEVER let in the house as she already has enough mess with me and glitter).
I like to stick to a budget of around $20 per person for immediate family give or take, I am happy to spend more when it comes to my parents. I start early because it means I can look for good deals and buy things online which allows them to arrive in plenty of time. I also like to buy things that I know the person will use or can wear (like jewellery or pyjamas). I think I have spent $160 this year so far this includes small gifts for friends, a Secret Santa I am doing and wrapping materials. I may buy a few extra things closer to Christmas it just depends.
In this guide you will find things for everyone and in a wide range of prices. I have also included lots of general ideas rather than items as I tend to get stuck on the idea part of for gifts rather than the actual gift if that makes sense (it probably doesn't but thats fine).

Bellabox 3,6 or 12 months subscription $45-$165.
I have been subscribed to Bellabox for a year now and
I love it. For $15 a month you get a selection
of beauty products some full size and some sample size. Its a good gift as it will keep on giving and everyone loves receiving mail :) Its a great gift to give to your sister, best friend or mum. They also do a mens box and baby box too.

Fisher-Price Little People Nativity Scene - $29.99 plus postage from America.
This is a cute set perfect for any kids you may have to buy for, its great as its a toy that will grow with them and you can teach them the true story of Christmas. My Mum bought two, one for us (despite the fact that my youngest sister is 16) and one for my nieces and nephew who are loving it (they are just over 18 months).

The first season of a TV Show  - I enjoy binge watching shows but once I finish a show I never know what next to watch! Work out what their interests and TV watching habits are and try and pick a new show for them to watch. The first season of a show don't cost that much and many stores have great deals on at the moment (JB HiFi has 2 for $30 on certain shows) so it won't break the bank. Shows that are good to get into are:
  • Bones - if they like murder mysteries and crime shows or are into human bio.
  • Terra Nova (its only one season) - if they like dystopian films and books or if they like dinosaurs.
  • Pretty Little Liars - if they like crime and teenage drama
  • Hart of Dixie - if they like small town romance and secretly want to live in a country town.
  • Parks and Recreation - if they like comedy and Amy Poehler , though I think most people will like this show as its awesome.

Nice Jewellery-  I rarely buy myself jewellery so I love receiving it as gifts and every time I wear it I think of the person who gave it to me. For example I have a necklace I wear every day and whenever I glance in the mirror and notice it I think of the people who gave it to me (it was an 18th birthday gift by an amazing couple who live over east but were able to make the trip for my birthday), same goes for my watch and the rings I wear on my right hand. I tend to only buy sterling silver as I am allergic to other types of metals and you can get some great deals on it, plus it will last. Magnolia does some cute earrings, as do Prouds and Zamels.

Stationery -  when I was 15 one year for Christmas my auntie got me a billabong pencil case and it was a great gift, I ended up using it for my last 2 years of high school and I still do (it has my permanent markers and paintbrushes in it). It was something that I never would have purchased for myself and it was useful. There are heaps of stores that sell cute stationery such as Kikki K, Typo and Smiggle.

Diary/Calendar for the new year - most people will use these things and you can get them in so many styles. With calendars you can get them customised with family photos which is great for grandparents, you can get them with pictures of your favourite movie, tv show or band and you can get ones that teach you new skills such as a language or craft, the choices are pretty much endless! Diaries are similar and something that is bound to be used. Many shopping centres have stands full of calendars but Office Works has a good range and you can also make/order custom ones there. (The calendar pictured is actually from the Reject Shop and its now a tradition that I buy my Mum one of these every year as they are so cute and 'us'.)


Pyjamas - For a few years my Grandma used to buy my sisters and I pyjamas each year for Christmas, she and my Mum would go out and choose a pair for each of us. We would always wear these Christmas night and they became our new favourite PJs for the season. Over the years this has stopped as my Grandma has deteriorated with dementia but its still a good memory. Last year my Mum ended up buying us all a pair of PJ shorts from Peter Alexander for Christmas (along with a singlet from Kmart) which we all loved, the prices were on the steep side but its always nice to receive something you might not buy yourself as you can't justify spending the money on them.

Personalised Vouchers - this year for a friend I made a stack of personalised vouchers, they were mostly fun ones that applied to her things like: I owe you a batch of brownies, I owe you a Maccas run, and I owe you a surprise trip. Its not that I couldn't afford to give her anything, it was because her birthday and Christmas are less than a month a part and I wanted to give her something that she could look forward to, I gave her them along with a craft kit and she loved it.

Craft kits - These are readily available and you can get them for anything and for a variety of skills. You can also make your own, quite cheaply, just find a craft from Pinterest; something fun that doesn't require many materials, print off the instructions and package that up along with the materials and a photo of the finished craft.

A plate of homemade treats - I love baking and I enjoy baking for people during Christmas time I do a lot of it. Bake your favourite treats (gingerbread and shortbread are popular) and package it up nicely (you can buy nice plates inexpensively at discount stores) and you have a yummy gift which hasn't cost a heap. Recipe for the cookies pictured here.


\
Other ideas:
  • iTunes vouchers
  • Magazine Subscription
  • Movie tickets (package up with a bag of popcorn or lollies and you have an easy gift!)
  • Products from the Body Shop (lip balm, shower gel, perfume etc.) 
  • Nail Polish in a fun colour along with a nail file and hand cream.
  • Pocket knife (this is really good idea for your dad/brother/boyfriend as they are handy to have around and you are guaranteed they will use it at some point).
I always try not to over think gifts and before I go shopping I write down their name and a few ideas of what they might like and the budget for that person, this makes things less stressful and I don't get sidetracked when shopping. I also start early so it doesn't take a toll on my (limited) income :)

Comments

Popular Posts