Ingredients for the cake:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/4 tea spoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded/desicated coconut (for the topping)
Ingredients for Icing
- 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 20 g melted unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- To make icing place all icing ingreadients in a bowl and whisk to combine set aside ( I do this when the slice is in the oven).
- Place butter,sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy (use the beaters for this) gradully add the eggs and beat well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder togeather over butter mixture and mix until well combined. Stir in the milk.
- pour into a 20cm X 30cm tin lined with grease proof paper and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked (the time it will take depends on the deepness of the pan you use).
- After you have taken it out of the oven wait 5 minutes then while still warm cut into in squares and poor over the icing (you MUST do this!) sprinkle with the coconut.
- Let it sit for a few more minutes if you can (its almost impossible to do trust me I've tried!). Then enjoy with friends and family :)
- You can make cupcakes using this recipe, just before you pour the icing on poke holes in the top of the cupcake to allow some of the icing to sink into the cake before putting the coconut on.
- The icing needs to be runny enough to pour or spoon over, if it is thick it won't work!
- You may need more than a cup of coconut you want the slice to be mostly covered with it, but so you can still some of the icing through it.
- If you don't use grease proof paper the slice will stick to the pan after you have poured the icing on and will very hard to get out.
- The recipe can be easily doubled, just make sure you double the icing too :)